Reflections on 2017, including links to our top-rated health blog posts
2017 seems to have made good on the adage, go big or go home, and not necessarily in a good way. Houstonians continue to rebuild from the devastating effects of Harvey. Big business continues to encroach on the increasingly-popular health industry, with P & G acquiring yet another supplement company and Amazon purchasing the Whole Foods Market chain.
In 2017, we worried about issues such as food safety. Chipolte and Tyson each had notable food safety issues. The health industry drew attention to an increase in fake organics and the adulteration of certain herbs, such as turmeric, in the marketplace. More people also became focused on other issues about food, such as the sustainability and sourcing of the products they consume. Not only does quality and value matter, but more and more people want to know that products are fairly-traded and protected for future generations. Food sensitivities were also a part of 2017’s health stories, as more and more people began to understand the very direct connection between the things they eat and the way that they feel.
Healthy stories trended around the benefits of phytocannabinoids, eye health and the connection between brain health and the condition of the gut. Supplements that support healthy stress, weight and inflammation management were also popular topics for those studying health trends. We shared quality health information in-store and online, including our health blog, betsyhealth.info, with these top-rated posts in 2017:
- You Want to Know these 4 Ways to Curb Appetite Naturally
- The Best Summer Weight-Loss Guide
- 4 Fabulous Stress Fighters
- Amino Acid Benefits
- 5 Need-To-Know Things About Bone Health
- Be Summer-Ready with these Exercises
Our three locations had a busy year, full of bringing the best in health supplements to Houston. We survived Harvey as well as a Starbuck’s fire in the strip where our Fallbrook store is located. Mostly, 2017 was filled with exciting news and growth for our stores, including:
- In the Living Magazine Reader’s Choice vote, we were named Best of Health Foods in two different areas. You’ve named us the Best Of every year since the magazine began the awards program. Thank you!
- We were quoted 9 different times in 4 different trade magazines this year on topics like supplements for eye health, stress, and pain management and on retail trends and survival tactics in the wake of our changing industry and our local challenges, such as the storm of all storms.
- Since we opened in early December of 2016, this was the first full year of business for our Cypresswood location. Fallbrook marked its third year in business in August. This coming February, our original location will officially mark its 25th year in business.
- We launched our Betsy’s Health Foods APP this year, with special deals found only on the app and quick access to everything Betsy’s, right on your smartphone or tablet. We were thankful to find yet another way to keep you up-to-date about health products and Betsy’s savings.
- We also continued to expand our quality store brand, Betsy’s Basics® this year, adding even more specialty formulas to our shelves.
We look forward to 2018, when we will celebrate 25 years of always taking your health and your budget to heart®. We hope you join us as we continue to help you meet your health goals with our product knowledge and heartfelt customer service. Thanks, Houston, for another great year!